Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Well I got brave...

I have ALWAYS been nervous about the finishing process for my projects.

I worry that I will cut it wrong, sew it wrong, iron and burn it, well you get the idea... the list could go on and on and on!

I have been emailing with Rachel and with her encouragement in my mind I cleaned off my sewing desk and got busy! It didn't quite turn out the way my mind's eye saw it but I think it turned out pretty darn good.

So I am now presenting my first of hopefully many, finished bellpulls!

Scary Night Halloween
Designer - Stoney Creek
 

This was completed with all the threads, fabric and bell pull holder recommended by Stoney Creek.

I really wanted to show some of the purple fabric (like a border) on the front of the piece but I think I cut the backing fabric wrong and then couldn't figure out how to "wrap it around" and finish it. I think I may have to practice on some scrap material.

Thanks for all your ideas and encouragement Rachel!

Thanks for stopping by,
see ya next time!

13 comments:

Katie said...

You are more brave than me. Great job! It looks fantastic.

Linda said...

Congrats on the awesome finish Faith. You did a fantastic job. I'm not brave enough to try.

Linda

Carol said...

Oh, that looks great, Faith! I have never done a bellpull and would have trouble figuring out how to make the backing fabric show, too! My mind just doesn't work that way :) Congratulations!

Rachel said...

Oh, you're more than welcome, and well done for taking the plunge! It really is like diving in at the deep end but now you've done it once it will gradually become easier. You'll have a house full of bell pulls in no time! :)

Manuela said...

Wonderful finish.
The bellpull looks great.

Astrids dragon said...

Oh Faith, that looks fantastic! I'm still not brave enough to try that yet.

Cathy said...

It's an awesome piece and a fantastic finish! Good job!

Lili said...

Congratulations, Faith! It looks great! The project is amazing! The back fabric is to cute! Well done!!! :)

RJ said...

Faith I love your bellpull...simply darling! You did such a great job sewing it and picked perfect fabric for it too. Aneasy way to get just a small amount of the fabric to show on the front would be to cut the back a small amount larger than the front all the way around. So say your front was 5 inches across you would cut the width of the back 5 1/2 inches. Do the same with the length and when you turn it inside out you just press the extra 1/4 of an inch to the front all the way around. There are a lot of other ways to do it but that would be the easiest. RJ

RJ said...

Another way that would work really well...is to stitch a small border of the purple fabric all the way around the stitch (add your seam allowance too) Then lay that on top of the purple fabric and cut it the same size as the front with the added purple fabric. Then just sew them together like you did. RJ

Brigitte said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Faith.

Bethan said...

How amazing! I can totally understand your feelings about finishing items off. This is stunning! x

FlashinScissors said...

Oh, yes, finishing off is really scary, Faith, after all the cross stitch!
You did really well! A wonderful finish!
Barbara x