Sunday, February 17, 2019

My Sunday Stitchy Update 02/17/19

This week I had a new start!

Matt (my son) bought me this chart as soon as it came out. Being from Chicago he thought it would look great in our home and I finally got around to starting it!

Pretty Little Chicago
Designer - Satsuma Street
First Stitch 02/11/19
Progress as of 02/17/19

So far I have finished stitching The Sears Tower (aka The Willis Tower). I grew up calling the Sears Tower by that name and when the Willis Group bought the building and changed the name I just couldn't bring myself to start calling it by the new name. When it was built is was the tallest building in the world and held that title for 25 years! Once the World Trade Center was rebuilt that became the tallest building.

I also finished (minus the backstitching) Chicago's Picasso. Picasso gifted this sculpture to Chicago in 1967 and surprisingly only took three months to complete it. This is located outside of the Richard J. Daley Center where the Cook County Circuit Courts are located. Daley was Chicago's longest serving Mayor and held office for over 20 years.

I hope you enjoyed your little lesson about my hometown Chicago. I will have much more to add as this piece grows.

Thanks for taking a peek at my stitching
see ya next week with another faithful update!

15 comments:

Mary said...

It's going to be fun following along with your Chicago stitch. I'm planning on going later this year to visit my uncle that lives there. Last visit I went to the top of the Sears tower and I think the other tall building was the John Hancock. I didn't see Chicago's Picasso, I'll have to make a point to see that but I did bump my head into the Bean!!

Manuela said...

Wonderful start.
Thanks for the lesson about your home town Chicago.
Manuela

Rachel said...

You sound really pleased to have started this one and have sure made great progress for a week! I love the fabric and accompanying needle minders too. History lessons are good and I will enjoy learning more about Chicago and its icons. I think I could probably name a couple of US buildings but other than that I'm fairly ignorant about the good old USA. :)

StitchThrifty said...

You have made a great start and accomplished a lot. I enjoyed the Chicago'lesson! Have a great week.

Cathy said...

Your Chicago project looks great! I grew up near Chicago and still say "Sears Tower". Can't help it.

Linda said...

I love your new start Faith. I have most of these started but haven't finished any yet. Love your fabric.

Linda

Katie said...

Great new start. We always call it Sears Tower too haha.

Robin in Virginia said...

You are off to a great start on your new stitch, Faith. Look forward to watching your progress on it.

Lili said...

Beautiful new start, Faith! Can wait for your progress and for read more about Chicago!

Mary's Thread said...

That's a great piece! It will be fun to watch it grow!

Astrids dragon said...

What a thoughtful gift, that will be a great piece!
I've never been there, but didn't know they changed the name.

diamondc said...

Faith: The tower is am amazing building, we had small Sears Tower here in Minnesota in Minneapolis, I remember when they sold fabric and sewing machines, I just dated myself.
I am interested in seeing your Picasso design.

Catherine

Carol said...

I have only passed through Chicago briefly so I appreciate your educating us on the architecture, Faith! Love the Satsuma designs and have thought about stitching the DC one for my son. It is a little bit too pastely for him, though, I think!

Linda K's Stitching Corner said...

Making Great Progress on this Faith....looks really pretty.

Happy Stitching
Linda K, Buttercup

RJ said...

Faith I am really liking this stitch alot. Can't wait to see more progress. I have never been to Chicago but have always wanted to go. My son loved his visit there. RJ