Sunday, March 03, 2019

My Sunday Stitchy Update 03/03/19

So this week in Tucson... 

I live near an Air Force base and this week they are practicing for upcoming airshows. These are just a few of the vintage planes they will be flying in shows around the country. I will be the first to admit I know NOTHING about vintage planes other than I see them in what they call the "Boneyard" that I pass by not to far from our home so I asked and found out these planes are:

lead plane is the Lockheed P-38 Lightning, left formation is Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, the right formation is North American P-51 Mustang and bringing up the rear is Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor. It makes for beautiful though noisy sky.

On another note...

the last day of February each year is Rare Disease Day which is set aside to raise awareness to them. I am the lucky recipient of one of these rare diseases called X-Linked Hypophosphatemia (XLH) more commonly known as rickets. Ours is hereditary and not from a diet lacking in Vitamin D as many have suggested to me. As far back as we can trace is my Grandmother who did not want to discuss it AT ALL. 

So since this disease is X-Linked it changes sex with each generation. My Grandmother had three sons and out of them only my Dad was affected. He had two daughter and both my sister and I were born with it. I then passed it on to my only son. My son has the worst case in our family and has decided that he does not want children as any daughters he would father would be guaranteed to have this and he didn't want to pass it on. 

Rare Disease Day celebrated this year by asking people to Show Their Stripes. Stripes because the zebra is the official symbol of rare diseases in the United States and is noted for its black and white stripes, which are central to its uniqueness; which makes them rare!

So anyways... I have some striped pajamas that I took my picture in. So if you don't know me in real life now is your chance to see what I look like! Don't worry - it's not to scary! LOL

You can't tell in this picture but since the XLH affects our bones and their growth I am pretty short. A few years ago I topped the charts at 4 ft 6 but I am losing bone mass and not sure how tall I am now as I can no longer stand straight. I was extremely bow legged as a child and had MANY operations in my younger days to get my legs straightened. Since they really couldn't strengthen the bones though many times the surgery was not as successful as they hoped but in the end my legs are basically straight. We all know how the bones weaken as we get older and arthritis comes to take up residence and so now I have severe arthritis in just about every bone but I am still getting around with the help of a walker (purple of course)! 

Oh yeah, then there was a bit of stitching too...

I stitched the February bunny in the series! 

Mini Bunnies
Monthly Series, February
Designer - Eileen Gurak
Mini Finish as of 02/28/19

I started March yesterday but there is not much progress so I'll show it once it is stitched up.

Thanks for taking a peek at my stitching
see ya next week with another faithful update!

10 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Your February bunnies are adorable, Faith. I look forward to seeing your March bunnies. Interesting about the planes and thank you for sharing a bit about them. Thank you for sharing information about XLH. Have a wonderful week!

Rachel said...

Goodness Faith... I don't think I've ever known you write so much in one post!
We have an international airshow in my home town every other year and even though they're very NOISY I do like watching the fighter planes and other aircraft practising their insane manoeuvres, although they're not allowed to do as much as in previous years due to new H&S rules over built up areas. Hope you enjoy watching yours practise too.
Sorry to hear about your family illness and your arthritis, but it was interesting to learn about. You must have had a very painful childhood with all those operations.
February's Mini Bunnies looks great; perfect for Valentine's Day. :)

Manuela said...

Very cute your bunnies.

Katie said...

The planes are very neat. Thanks for sharing the information on them. Thanks also for the information on your disease. The human body is amazing to me in how many ways it can turn against us. I'm so sorry you have had to deal with this and your son too. Beautiful February finish.

Mary said...

Faith, I'm so sorry to hear about all you have been through with this disease. I have heard of rickets but not the kind you have. It must have been so difficult for you as a child to deal with it. You certainly have a great attitude about it all though.
Sweet stitch, I don't like airshows, I'm always afraid of them crashing...

RJ said...

Hi Faith! I had no idea all you have been through with illness. I'm so sorry to hear you have had to suffer and that it is passed on. You are in my prayers that the pain eases. I love your sweet bunnies...great job. I've worked at Air Shows and I've always enjoyed seeing them. RJ

Meari said...

I've been to an airshow... it's pretty interesting.

Congrats on your bunny finish. It's adorable.

I've seen you in R/L, but it's nice to see a new photo of you. :)

Astrids dragon said...

Oh Faith, I had no idea what XLH was, I'm so sorry it has invaded your family. I totally understand how the arthritis affects you since my Mom has RA. Hugs to you!
I'm glad you're able to stitch though, your bunny is adorable.

Lili said...

Your February bunny is adorable,Faith! How sweet series!

Thanks for sharing this illness with us. You are a brave woman for sure!!
Hugs x

Carol said...

You just never know what someone may be dealing with, Faith... Thank you for telling us about your inherited illness and all that you've had to deal with. It must be hard being so short (I am 5'1" and complain!). I hope your stitching brings you some comfort--it is always beautiful ♥